Baking is enjoyable when you are using an oven. But if you experience some wired odour spreading from your self-cleaning oven, it’s not acceptable. You don’t want to use the oven again with the bad smell, right?
To solve it, you must know how to get rid of self-cleaning oven smell. If you want to bake right away, it is time to learn it.
What is a self-cleaning oven?
It is also known as pyrolytic ovens. You don’t have to clean the oven rather it will clean itself. This kind of oven uses a very high temperature to burn off the leftover foods or ingredients after baking. But it doesn’t apply any chemical substance for burning.
The self-cleaning oven cleans all the spills and dirt by making the temperature high about north of 800°F. While cleaning, the cavity gets squeaky and achieves the feat. After burning it leaves some white ashes that you can wipe off easily with a clean cloth. The oven will be getting power from the electricity or gas that you use in the household.
Why does it leave smells?
The burning process of the self-cleaning oven can leave an odour. This is unpleasant and disturbing. When the leftover food grease is stuck on the oven corner side there can be a smell after rotting. The oven rack materials are not always perfect for extreme burning. They can also produce a bad smell.
To be mentioned, this type of oven smell is not dangerous. Although the fume that is produced after burning can be a matter of worry. In a study, it was identified that the self-cleaning oven produces “Carbon Monoxide” after burning off the leftover bone meals and enamel lining. So the smell you absorb from the oven can be carbon monoxide.
So getting rid of the self-cleaning oven smell is one of the most important things you should do after baking. Sometimes it is odourless with a flimsy smell. Carbon monoxide is normally odourless, tasteless and invisible. This gas is mostly harmful to birds and animals but it doesn’t matter whether you are getting affected or not, you must not let the smell resist the way of your oven to be perfectly clean.
How to get rid of self-cleaning oven smell
There are a number of domestic elements that you can use to escalate the smell or absorb the smell from inside of your self-cleaning oven.
Firstly you can remove the oven racks and make them clean by yourself after the self-cleaning of the oven. You can wash them using the normal cleaning products you use for other works.
Another way is to wash the racks by hand while the self-cleaning cycle is running. The cycle will be performed without the racks. Make the racks dry properly and keep them aside to set.
Remove all the visible debris with a small mop or with a bare hand. You can use mild soap and little water for deep cleaning. If the spills are rigid, use a brush and rub them gently using the mild detergent.
Wipe out the whole cavity of the oven with a clean dry cloth. Let the oven dry again. Now set the racks that you cleaned and dried. Set them properly.
Turn on the self-cleaning cycle of your oven. As the visible dirt, split leftovers and rigid debris are cleaned before there will be less chance to leave a bad odour after the cleaning cycle.
Now if you can feel the self-cleaning oven smell again a little bit, not to worry. You are not done.
- Take some baking soda
- Pour it on the racks of the oven
- Check after sometimes. Baking soda will soak all the smell and you will be free from experiencing the bad odour.
You can also use a paste of baking soda and water for keeping inside the oven after self-cleaning and your cleaning process.
If you don’t have baking soda in the house you can use lemons. They are natural odour remover. They have the quality of containing citric acid. You can also use lemon for cleaning leftover greases and spills. They are available and leave a natural smell, not an artificial detergent smell. Two or three lemons will be enough.
- Cut them in half
- Squeeze the extracts from them into a small dish.
- Mix some water and the lemon part as well.
- Preheat the oven and after cooling it down, wipe away the oven floor and corner with the lemon juice.
Things you need to remember
2. Sometimes fire hazard is there. As the oven works at a high temperature there is a slight chance to catch on fire. So be cautious while using it.
3. A Self-cleaning oven can produce and spread dangerous fumes in your kitchen air sometimes as I mentioned earlier. So you have to use it on your own risk and clean it properly.
4. Before deep cleaning your self-cleaning oven, you can reheat the oven for loosening the debris. After turning off the oven, take some time to cool it and then you can start working. 350°F temperature will be enough for that.
5. While using the racks of the oven, wrap the bottom of the oven with aluminium foil. You can also use the Silicon oven liners. This will keep the bottom burning less while baking.
6. Always cover the foods that you are baking or heating. This makes a lot of differences in case of leaving smells.
7. Meats and fat-containing foods can create comparatively more smell. So try to use roasting bags while cooking them.
8. If any part of your self-cleaning oven breaks or becomes inconsistent, contact a mechanic to fix it.
Using an oven with a bad smell makes your baking time worse. Now as you know how to get rid of self-cleaning oven smell, it is time to deodorize your oven. Do not let the smell spread throughout the house and make it go as soon as possible. A self-cleaning oven is a good companion for any baker or chef if it remains clean, sparkling and savouring.